The Ritchie County Historical Society was formed in 1973 and was incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation in 1976.
Old Stone House Museum
Pennsboro B & O Railroad Depot
Pennsboro B & O Depot Trailhead
We invite you to view our current projects which have been made possible by countless hours of volunteer labor and donations received by our members and interested public.

Our Store offers several publications and maps which will prove helpful to those researching family genealogy in Ritchie County.

Join Us Today and help preserve the history and heritage of Ritchie County.

Tours, Hours
and Location

History and


Pennsboro B & O Railroad Depot

Copyright © 2015-2024  - Ritchie County Historical Society
All Rights Reserved
Website by Hawk Mountain


Pennsboro Railroad Depot
Early photo of the B & O Depot in Pennsboro

This Depot served the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad as a passenger and freight depot until it was closed in 1974.
Although the Depot was built in 1883, the railroad actually began operations in 1857 and a wooden depot was built at that time. The Grafton to Parkersburg railroad was constructed by the Northwestern Virginia Railroad and in 1865 it became the Parkersburg Branch of the B & O.

The closing of the Depot in 1974 was followed by the removal of the tracks in 1988.  By 1990, condemnation proceedings were being considered for the abandoned building. Through the efforts of local citizens who formed a “Save The Depot” group, the Depot was saved.

The building and parking lot, now a Trailhead for the North Bend Rail Trail, are leased by the Ritchie County Historical Society whose restoration efforts have resulted in the Depot serving the community as a railroad museum and community center.

B & O Railroad Depot
For further information about the Depot and/or to arrange for a tour by appointment, contact the historical society via email at:
Information and Tours
The Depot will be open as listed on our Events page.
Large crowd who arrived in Pennsboro on the B & O Railroad, now waiting to ride the narrow gauge P & H Railroad to the Ritchie County Fair.
Note the building under construction in the background. Circa 1905.

President - Mike Nichols
1st Vice President - Walt Fleming
2nd Vice President - Larry Villers 
Secretary- Vacant
Treasurer - Jackie Fleming

The Old Stone House and Pennsboro Depot are also open by appointment in addition to times listed on our Events page. Please email us at to make arrangements.